Spring is a time for new beginnings. Grass begins to grow, flowers start to bloom, and the whole world feels like it’s waking up. This idea of a fresh start has made it a very popular time of year for cleaning and organizing homes, whether you’re clearing away “snowbanks” of clutter or arranging belongings like a carefully maintained garden.
If you’ve already caught the spring cleaning bug, you may be wondering where to begin. After all, it can be a daunting task. That’s why we decided to put together a list of helpful tips to make your house or apartment a cleaner (and perhaps also a safer) home.
- Take it one room at a time. Deciding to clean or organize your entire home can feel overwhelming. However, if you focus on just one area or room at a time, things will feel more manageable. And, as you move from one finished room to the next, you’ll feel like you’ve made more progress, which should spur you on to cleaning up your entire home.
- Follow the six-month rule. As a rule of thumb, if you haven’t used something in six months (with the obvious exception of seasonal items, like holiday decorations), it’s usually worth thinking about either donating it or throwing it away because those things are just taking up space.
- Don’t forget the kitchen. Just like other rooms, your kitchen likely has things that haven’t been used in some time, including food in your refrigerator or freezer. You should give your appliances a thorough cleaning after you get rid of anything you won’t be eating.
- Set yourself up for success. Paper clutter is something that can be avoided pretty easily. Setting up a few recycling bins throughout the house gives you a convenient alternative to just setting that old magazine or paperwork down somewhere and watching a pile grow. Taking this proactive approach means you’ll have less to worry about the next time you clean your home.
- Make some money! Garage sales are a great way to get rid of unwanted items while bringing in some extra income. Talk about a win-win situation! You’re paid to get rid of things you don’t need and, best of all, it saves you the trouble of carting the junk somewhere yourself.
- Stay safe. While cleaning or maintaining your home, be mindful of the physical risks involved. Lift with your leg muscles, not your back. Avoid prolonged repetitive motions. And, as always, use ladders, lawnmowers, and other dangerous tools with caution.
By the way, spring is also a great time of year for assessing your insurance needs to make sure that your home and belongings are adequately covered. If you live around the Brookfield, CT area and want to learn more about homeowners or renters insurance , be sure to give us a call today at (203) 775-2564 (because who knows what can happen tomorrow!)